This Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble will become your new low carb vegan breakfast idea!! It’s beyond simple to make and you can even make it into breakfast tacos!
I’ll admit it – I was very sceptical about this. Tofu scramble? But, I know you guys are always asking for more breakfast options, so I gave it a try.
UMMMMMM. HOW. This is one of the best vegan breakfast ideas I have EVER done. Does tofu scramble taste like eggs? First of all, this doesn’t taste like scrambled eggs. It tastes WAY BETTER. It is a fusion of divine seasonings, the perfect texture AND you can reheat it. No risk of rubbery breakfast here. Even better? I made you tacos with it too.
So tofu. Let’s talk about you. I have tofu maybe once every three months. Honestly, I just haven’t found that much to do with it, so every now and then I grab a block. Well, I’m pretty much convinced that I’ll be grabbing a block way more often, just to remake this tofu scramble. Let’s talk about how easy this is to make. You literally crumble the tofu in your pan.
Yes, that easy. I have a video coming out this weekend to show it, but you sauté the veggies, then add in the tofu, the Southwestern seasonings and everything else. Some people prefer to use a potato masher, but I think that your fingers give it the perfect texture. Also, you get to play with your food! Everything comes together pretty quickly and easily, and the best part is, unlike scrambled eggs, it’s pretty hard to mess this up.
You guys may or may not know this, but videoing a recipe is NOT easy. Especially when you want to cook it afterwards. So I accidentally left these on the heat for a while. Then I photographed them. THEN I reheated them so I could ya know, survive. PERFECT. Like, you would never even know. Plus, adding in the almond milk gives it an even better creaminess so it’s basically all heaven in a forkful. If we’re talking seasoning love, the mix of paprika, nutritional yeast and turmeric give it that gorgeous burnt yellow colour with an amazing taste.
How To Make Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- The first step is to press your tofu I wrote a whole guide on how to prepare tofu just in case!
- Then you’re going to want to sauté the onions and garlic until they are translucent and super fragrant.
- Now its time to get hands-on! Take the pressed tofu block in your hand and crumble it into the pan with your hands.
- To add more flavour to this dish. Mix all the seasonings in a bowl, including the salt and pepper, and then sprinkle it over.
- After everything has been added. Stir to combine, until the seasonings are fully incorporated. Add in the unsweetened milk and stir again. Low to medium-low and allow to cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste test and add any more seasonings that you want.
- Remove from heat. Serve as you’d like by itself, or with low carb bread. Enjoy!
How many carbs are in Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble?
So in this incredible recipe, there are 4 total carbs per serving and 2 net carbs. So it makes it super low carb for your needs!
What to serve with this Tofu Scramble
Now, feel free to play this tofu scramble is up. I was feeling for Southwestern flavours of cumin, oregano and paprika so I used those. Want to add black beans and tomatoes, do it. Maybe you want to add this with another breakfast option like this vegan chocolate chia pudding. OR, do what I did and make a breakfast taco. This pairs perfectly with avocado, low carb soft taco shells that are heated over a fire (okay, or on your stovetop in a little coconut oil) for a slight crispness in each bite. Oh, and most importantly HOT SAUCE. Make my Scotch bonnet pepper sauce because you will NEVER want to eat anything else after having this combination.
Enjoy friends! If you make this post about Easy Tofu Scramble please snap a photo and tag #lowcarbveganrecipes on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much! P.S. Want more vegan recipes? Check out my blog Jessica in the Kitchen!
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ red onion
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 block of firm tofu (pressed)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the coconut oil. Add in the onions and the garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
- Take the pressed tofu block in your hand and crumble it into the pan with your hands.
- Mix all the seasonings (turmeric, paprika, nutritional yeast, sea salt and ground black pepper, etc) in a bowl. Sprinkle the seasonings over the tofu mixture.
- Stir to combine, until the seasonings are fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the milk and stir again to thoroughly combine. You want it to get saucy.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Feel free to add more milk a tablespoon at a time to get it more 'saucy' if you desire. Taste test and add any more seasonings that you want.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle the kala namak (optional if you don't have it) over the scrambled tofu and stir to combine one last time. Serve as you’d like and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g